What is The Crew?
We are a group of men at Dexter United Methodist Church that support each other and get together to (do):
- Build things--mostly recently, The Edge Youth Center, the Atrium, and the Lean-To
- Hurricane Relief (Katrina)
- Habitat for Humanity (in Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor)
- Christmas in Action (in Dexter)
- Feeding the homeless (in Detroit)
- Community Service (Alpha House)
- Raising funds for missions such as the Rummage Sale, Dexter Daze, and Relay for Life
Here's what else we do:
Men’s Fellowship Breakfast and Prayer Time (Tuesdays: 6:30 AM)
Currently 12-20 men meet in Newkirk Hall by the kitchen area each week. This is a casual time to meet men of the church before the day’s activities. Come for a bit of breakfast, a lot of fellowship, and a look into the Scriptures. At the end, we go around the table and pray for one another. Some pray out loud, some pray silently. The Tuesday Morning Breakfast is a great “jumping on point” if you are new to our church.
Men’s Bible Storytelling (Wednesdays: 7 – 8:30 PM)
All ages welcome! You will hear told some of the timeless stories of the Bible—stories that will help you share your faith with your children, grandchildren, friends or neighbors. Meets in Room 207.
Theology on Draft (Thursdays: 6:30 PM - 8 PM)
Come enjoy some great conversation and deep thinking that will challenge or strengthen our traditional Christian ideas. The group will meet in the cozy confines of Dexter's newest pub, the Null Taphouse, located at 2319 Bishop Circle, E, Dexter, MI 48130 (located in the Industrial Park).
Our next five-week study (March 9 - April 6, 2017) will be The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus' Crucifixion. The premise of the class is Jesus’ crucifixion must be understood within the much larger story of God’s purposes to bring heaven and earth together.
Men’s Monthly Breakfast (Saturdays: 8 AM)
We gather the 2nd Saturday of every month in Newkirk Hall. This is a great time to connect with other guys. After a full service breakfast, we take on the tough issues that men face with a teaching (usually by a guest speaker) and sharing format. Sometimes we have planned activities afterwards for fathers and sons/daughters.
The Crew plans, sponsors or promotes a variety of retreats throughout the year. Most notably, True Pursuit Week-end (in April), a summer retreat near Evart, Michigan; Promise Keepers Convention; and Myers Lake Family Camp-Out in July.
There’s the Golf League (April – August) and Men’s Softball. And there’s Into the Wilderness—hiking, climbing, mountain biking, and trout stream fishing out west.
A new component to men’s ministry—designed to empower men in their 20’s, 30’s & 40’s to be Christ-centered dads & husbands in a secular world. We’ve started a series of events about:
- The impact of the Internet and social media on our kids. . .and what to do about it.
- The struggles and challenges of being a Christ-follower parenting kids in a very secular environment. . .including some testimonials of those who’ve been down this path.
- Places to turn and be equipped to raise KIDS WHO ARE CHRIST-CENTERED.