What do Stephen Ministers do?
Stephen Ministers are committed Christian men and women who. . .
- Express God’s care through their lives to others
- Receive 50 hours of initial training in fundamental caring ministry skills and concepts
- Are commissioned as Stephen Ministers after completing their initial training
- Meet with their assigned care receiver regularly (on average 1 hour per week) to offer spiritual support and care
- Participate in regular support and supervision under the guidance of trained Stephen Leaders
- Are committed to preserving the confidential nature of the caring relationship
- Serve a minimum of two years
- Receive continuing education and skill building throughout their years of service
“Stephen Ministers are CARE-givers. . .
God is the CURE-giver.”
A Stephen Minister is NOT. . .
- A counselor or therapist
- A problem-solver
- An occasional visitor