1. View the Dexter UMC Wedding Policy and Wedding Information Form:
Wedding Policy, Non-Members of Dexter UMC
Wedding Policy, Members of Dexter UMC
Wedding Policy, Members of Dexter UMC - Offsite Ceremony
Wedding Information Form - Send this document to the office with your deposit.
2. Call the Dexter UMC office (734.426.8480):
Our office staff will check the church calendar to verify your date is available. If the date is open, your request will be presented to our pastoral staff during our weekly staff meeting. You will receive a follow-up contact from our office, informed if your date is available and the pastor who will officiate at your ceremony.
3. Schedule your wedding date:
Once your wedding date is confirmed, you should return the WEDDING INFORMATION FORM to 7643 Huron River Drive, Dexter, MI 48130 with your deposit check made out to Dexter United Methodist Church. This secures your date on our calendar. (Please note, until a deposit is received, your wedding is not added to our church calendar.)
Dexter UMC Member: $150 Deposit – paid for Sanctuary Fee & Custodial Services
Non-Member: $500 Deposit – paid for Sanctuary Fee, Pastoral Services & Custodial Services
4. Prepare for your wedding:
Talk to the pastor before plans are made. Your first session together will be concerned with your preparation for marriage. Contact the pastor officiating your ceremony or the church office to schedule this appointment.
Attend a pre-marriage class. (e.g.: either the three session class held twice a year at Dexter UMC or some other approved set of classes such as those offered by the United Methodist Church or Samaritan Counseling Services). The Dexter UMC class is scheduled for spring and fall sessions.
One additional session between the couple and the pastor should be scheduled no later than one month prior to your wedding.
A few other things you should know . . .
• Final payments are due no less than 30 days prior to your ceremony.
• Your marriage license must be brought to the church office no less than 3 days prior to your ceremony. We need time to prepare it for signing.
• The Dexter UMC Wedding hostess attends your rehearsal and is also available the day of your wedding to assist you and your wedding party.